When I started this blog, I had hoped that I would be able to steer clear of typical blogdom. Mostly I mean that I hoped I would subject my posts to a literary standard. It would not be a recepticle into which I would vomit whatever bit of my personality I feel I need to share with the world. But then I read something that makes me want to throw such a standard to the dogs.
So, forget it, I’m giving in because some friends’ recent blog post struck a chord that, well, resonated.
Please go read their original recent post at Lara and the Reel Boy. It reminded me why I really like those two people. And it made me want to share my own list of 6. (I know at LATRB theirs was five, but I want 6. So what?!)
Six what? Well, six monsters I would like to have around. Some would make great pets. Others would be more like great friends. At the end of the post please comment and leave your own list. Or post some to your own blog and let me know. (My literary blogging soul is hating me for this… )
6. Mike Wazowski (Monsters, Inc.)- Look at that stunned face. So comic. I mean, he’s a monster, AND he’s Billy Crystal. You get two in one one-eyed pal! I don’t see how there could be anything wrong with this.
5. Falkor (The Neverending Story, etc.)- It’s funny how I think the desire to have my monsters around feels so self-explanatory. In this case I want to say, “Come on! He’s a luckdragon!” Plus, I’ll get to fly from world to world, taunt bullies, find cures for diseases, and if I’m ever flung into the ocean or left dangling on a cliffside, I’ll be saved… “With luck!”
4. Aughra (The Dark Crystal)- Sometimes I’ve got a hankering to banter with a cantankerous old lady. So number four was really a dual between Aughra and Morla, the giant sneezing turle from The Never Ending Story. But really, there’s all the doom with Morla, and plus, Morla’s more like a place to hang out at than a person to hang out with. In general, Aughra is much more impressive, what with the embodying of the planet Thra, the ability to control vines and other Thra-types, and reading the universe. Plus I would love to just hear her talk about various apocolypses and say things like, “It’s the Great Conjunction!”
3. E.T. (E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial) This I believe is the coolest monster/alien around. He’s the title of my favorite movie. We’d build things, make stuff hover, and do some general healing. And there’s something about the guy that tugs at my spiritual heartstrings. Major downside: He dies = I die.
2. Thing (The Addams Family, etc.) – Thing is everything I could want in a monster pal: good sense of humor, doesn’t mind doing your dishes, likes sports like skateboarding and tennis, and won’t hesitate to save the day. Plus he’s different from the other monters in that there’s no getting around how humanish, severed and undead he is. He’ll make all my friends wriggle.
1. The Muppets- If you know me, you know the following: a)It would be cruel to make me choose one Muppet. b) I actually have always wanted to be a Muppeteer so this makes absolute sense. There is not a Muppet that would make bad company (unless you include Skeksis in the Muppet bunch). Bring on Sesame Street, Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets in Space. I would play guitar with Kermit, teach with Big Bird, think about the enormity of life with Gonzo, and bring Miss Piggy to my friends’ ANTM parties. My roommates would certainly be Rizzo and Pepe, and in the end I’d poke fun at all of it with Statler and Waldorf. This would be a dream.